Monday 10 September 2012

It's that time of year- some words of encouragement.


This isn’t meant to be a long post, nor a particularly meaty one. I hope though that some will find it helpful.

For adults without children, there is probably nothing significant about this time of year, but for many, it marks change.

Parents watch their four year olds disappear inside school gates for the first time. Nervous pre-teens don smart uniforms and brave the big scary world of high school. School-leavers start jobs or look for employment; others choose Sixth Form or college after their GCSEs. Thousands of students are driven to their new accommodation in cars jammed full of luggage.

Even if you’re just returning to school/college/university for another year, this time of year is probably a bit strange. Change always is.

I’ve been feeling a bit odd these last few days, which is likely a culmination of having finished my job- therefore giving me time to think- and having mixed feelings about going back to uni this weekend.

Mostly I’m really looking forward to it. I’m excited about living in my new house with some lovely girls. I can’t wait to see some friends I’ve missed terribly, and just sit and talk for hours. I look forward to my studies, to going back to Kid’s Klub, to Canterbury Vineyard, and to being in that pretty town again.

Of course there is always apprehension of the unknown though, and I dread having to say my goodbyes to my family. Goodbyes are terrible aren’t they.

But I think mostly what is bothering me is the memories of how I felt this time last year. Last September I was an emotional wreck the week leading up to uni, and when I got there it was even worse. Things are a million times better now, but I can’t help but be reminded of that time- a whole year ago, unbelievably.
These memories make me think of those who are starting/have started uni this year. If you’re reading this and that’s you, I hope these words will be of some encouragement.

My advice to you is simply this: don’t give up. It might be bewildering and overwhelming to start with. You might feel that nothing is worth feeling the way you do right now. I promise it gets better though. There is no cure for homesickness unfortunately, except going home, which is not really a viable option, and time. And when the homesickness goes away, or at least lessens to a point where its bearable, you’ll appreciate all the great thing your uni has to offer. You are where you are for a reason, and yes, you might be faced with some really tough times, but those will shape you and you'll come out stronger for them. 

Psalm 46 says this: “God is our refuge and strength,
    an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way    and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam    and the mountains quake with their surging.”


Let God be your strength in these coming days and weeks. This is for those who have started Sixth Form or college too, or have gone back for another year and are finding it tough. He won’t give you more than you can bear, and He has such great things in store for you.

There's a beautiful song by 'The Fray', whose take on Psalm 46:10's 'Be still and know that I am God' is absolutely lovely. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nUuBjz4Vhc



Also, if you haven't heard Bethel's 'Come to me' yet, where have you been? 

The lyrics are just perfect- "I am the LORD your God. I go before you now. I stand beside you, I'm all around you."

I hope those are of some comfort.

To all you new second or third years out there, let’s have an amazing year! I’m excited to see your faces.

Love, C.

No comments:

Post a Comment