Saturday 28 July 2012

LUSH Rave! (Plus other randoms)

Hello everyone! Firstly I have to mention, of course, last night's Olympic Opening Ceremony.

I'm not a big sports fan but I have to admit there's something about our country being made such a huge fuss of- and this is coming from someone with non- British parents! I was really touched by the thought, effort, creativity and utterly British humour that went into the spectacle, and though it doesn't happen all that often, I was truly proud to be a citizen of the UK. If I'd been wearing a hat at the time, I would have taken it off to the Queen for playing along with the Bond in the helicopter joke, and though Rowan Atkinson's antics kind of took away from the epicness that is Chariots of Fire, it was still pretty darn hilarious.

Anyway this post really has nothing to do with the Olympics but rather a bit of fan-girling over one of my favourite shops- the cosmetics store LUSH! Why do I love it so, you ask?

I'm more than happy to share it's awesomeness with you.

Read on...




1. It's natural, handmade, often organic, fairtrade, kind to animals, etc etc.
2. The products do wonders for the skin/hair/etc.
3. Everything in there smells really really good.

Is there anything I don't like? Well, it's a bit on the pricier side, so it's not an everyday luxury. I had to ban myself from my whole first year of uni (wasn't that hard since they don't have one in Canterbury anyway but that's besides the point).

Anyway, let's go back to the scent for a minute. You might have noticed this if you have a LUSH store in your town. The fragrance will follow you all the way down the street, almost to the point of being a bit overwhelming. Don't let that put you off though, because there are so many different scents in that shop that you are bound to find something you like.

Some people really don't mind what their shampoo smells like as long as it does the job, but I've always loved things that smell good.

When I was a child I used to beg my mum to get all the spices out of the cupboard. I used to line them up in a row and take the lids off the jars and smell them one by one.You're probably shaking your head in concern right about now, but it's just something I've always enjoyed. We used to have a rose garden many years ago when I lived in London. To this day roses are my absolute favourite flower, and my favourite scent. Scent is a powerful thing because it triggers memories or feelings. You associate smells with a certain person or event. But sometimes, you just want something as a simple as a yummy-smelling bath at the end of a tiring week, and for these little luxuries, LUSH has served me well.

I won't ramble on too long but in case you've never really been into LUSH, I'll just give a quick roundup of my favourite products.

1. Angels on Bare Skin cleanser. Looks like this:

Lush angels on bare skin


Most LUSH products come in these black plastic tubs/jars (unless they're soap or bath bombs), and while this isn't the most glamorous packaging, it is economical, recyclable, and iconic because instantly recognizable. Anyway, the product. Like many, I struggle to find cleansers that don't leave my skin either too dry or too oily. Angels may look a bit funny (a blend of kaolin clay, ground almond, lavender and rose oil), but it's so soothing and softening that I've yet to find anything that beats it. Just exfoliating enough but not too harsh.

2. Curly Wurly Shampoo.


Good for curly hair. Made with real coconuts, plus things like free range eggs and cocoa butter
 to really condition dry curls and make them bouncy! The smell is so delicious too. A pot of this will set you back a tenner, but a little goes a long way and the pot lasts forever.

3. American Cream conditioner.

lush american cream conditioner


A LUSH classic and the yummiest-smelling conditioner ever. Makes me feel like I'm in a 50s American diner drinking a strawberry and vanilla milkshake. The scent lasts all day and makes my naturally dry hair as soft and manageable as it will probably ever get.

4. The Olive Branch shower gel.

lush olive branch shower gel


This has to be the loveliest shower gel in the world. I'd buy it for the citrusy comforting scent alone, but it's actually very moisturising too thanks to all the olive oil in there. 

5. Dream Cream

lush dream cream


Not my favourite smell, but so valuable. In the winter time it soothes super dry skin, in the summer it helps sunburn and insect bites. It also keeps eczema at bay better than anything else I've ever tried, soothes skin after shaving and just generally is awesome.

There's many other products I really enjoy such as the bubble bath stuff and some of the perfumes, but I think the above-mentioned have to be my top favourites.

All images from the LUSH website- https://www.lush.co.uk/ if you want to have a look to see what else they offer.

Anyway enough of me blabbering on! If you love LUSH too, let me know, so we can fangirl together.

Hope you're all enjoying your weekend. I've had a lovely day- some of the Portuguese relatives came over for a BBQ. There was a lot of food and a little wine, traditionally followed by strong coffee, and of course many laughs. I love my aunties, they're hysterical. You do not mess with my Auntie Lina. They make me feel like it's ok to be a bit matter-of-fact and blunt sometimes, because whenever I see them I'm reminded that it's a family trait! Haha good times.

In other news, I got a fringe! Not groundbreaking stuff since I've had one before, but I'm enjoying having one again.








1960s hair bouffant Mad Men Joan Holloway Harris Audrey Hepburn


1960s hairstyle updo Mad Men Joan


Been wanting to try this 60s-style updo for ages and it wouldn't have looked the same without a fringe! Was inspired by the always-fabulous Joan Harris from the brilliant Mad Men. May do a mini-tutorial sometime...

OK I really will stop writing now! Have a lovely Sunday and speak soon.

Thanks for reading.

C. 

No comments:

Post a Comment