Monday 11 June 2012

Sometimes, it's OK to not know.


One of the most frequent questions a teenager will get asked is the one that can seem the most daunting: ‘So, what do you want to do with your life?’ I have been asked this countless times, by teachers, family, friends, and well-meaning friends of the family. The answer is always the same- ‘I don’t really know’, and then I proceed to offer a couple of potential options so that I don’t come across as someone who is clearly wasting her time and money at university.


I do honestly have a few options in mind, but none of those things are set goals, only a recognition of where I could potentially apply my skills and my gifts. Not having a clear idea of what you want after school, college or university is common, yet the pressure to have some kind of plan is enormous. Speaking purely from my own experience, the kids at school who seem to have their whole life carefully mapped out are the ones that get the most praise, and the most attention to help them realise their goals. It made me feel a little as though I was somehow less worthy, simply because I didn’t want to commit myself to a particular career path so early in life.

Don’t for one moment assume that I am slating anyone who already knows what they want to do and are willing to go through the processes they need to get to that point. I think it’s wonderful if you have a clear passion for something and you know it is the right path to go down. But I also think those people are in the minority; most of us don’t have that clear-cut knowledge of what we want, for various reasons. Some may not realise what it is they love or are particularly good at, while others may be interested in several different fields and have a hard time choosing just one to pursue in greater depth.

To the former of these two, I can only advise trying different things. Being pushed to join the school and local youth orchestra as a child showed me that playing the violin, alone or with others, was not my passion. It didn’t come as naturally as is necessary to be a successful musician, so I stopped taking lessons, but I did realise I was musical, which gave me the confidence to pursue singing and learn basic piano. In short, you never know until you try.

To the latter of the two, I can identify completely. I was unsure about coming to university for several reasons, and choosing my course was not an easy decision. Although English was always my strongest subject and the most constant when it came to deciding on my degree, I did waver several times throughout my school years. I considered everything from Fine Art to German to Primary Education. After finishing my first year of English I can safely say I made the right choice, as the course material is so diverse, incorporating elements of many other subjects which satisfies my admittedly easily bored nature. I am aware though that some choose a degree and later find it’s not the right course for them, so they change it either after a term or after a year. That’s ok too. We have to allow room to make changes if necessary - I was about to write ‘mistakes’, but it’s not a mistake to try something and then change your mind.

Another thing to keep in mind is that being asked what you want to do with your life may seem like a hugely broad question, but actually I think it’s quite a limiting one. It implies that there is only one route to take, one degree or apprenticeship or career move that will determine the whole forty-five years or so of your working life. This is a ridiculous notion; how many people do you know who have had one profession for their entire lives? Variety, as they say, is the spice of life! You change, you grow, you learn along the way and become more and less suitable for different positions.

I used to be so apprehensive about my future because everything I potentially wanted to do seemed so daunting, and such a huge leap from where I was even a year ago. I’m starting to see though that God doesn’t drop us into a situation without preparing us for it, and everything that I am doing now is preparation for something ahead. That isn’t to say that I view my current life as merely a step towards the future; it is meant to be enjoyed and experienced in its own right, for just what it is. For example, volunteering for ‘Kidz Klub’, though exhausting, demanding and often thankless, is also fun. I love building relationships with the children and the other staff, I love getting to act like a kid for a legitimate reason, I love listening to the children telling me about their week at school. Mostly I love that I can be part of such a wonderful team who dedicate themselves to being Jesus to those kids, who are often from deprived backgrounds. I realise as every Saturday at Kidz Klub goes by that God has given me a heart for kids, and it is something that will probably factor in my future plans.

I hope that sharing some of my own experiences has been of some encouragement to any of you facing uncertainty about their futures. Have a lovely week!

Thanks as always,

C.

No comments:

Post a Comment