Thursday 17 May 2012

Music recommendation- The Civil Wars


Hey everyone,

So things have been a bit crazy since getting back to uni, and I’ve barely had time to think, let alone write. I’ve had no opportunity to come up with anything particularly insightful, so I thought I would let myself off the hook slightly here and do something a little different: a music recommendation!

It’s not often I come across modern day music I really love, but discovering The Civil Wars was such  a treat! The American duo John Paul White and Joy Williams are truly musical soulmates, with the most beautiful voices that harmonise effortlessly. Their music is best defined as folk/country, but don’t expect any banjos or bluegrass- this is music at its most pure and simple, White’s guitar often being the only accompaniment.

Their songs are relatively low-key- there is nothing particularly elaborate about them, except perhaps for those harmonies I mentioned- but the lyrics are smart, narrating the complexities of human relationships; of love and life. I won’t say anymore- I’ll let the music speak for itself. It’s the perfect antidote to the auto-tuned, overproduced, and overblown stuff that’s dominating the charts these days. They’re like chocolate for the ears!

Hope you enjoy.



This is probably the hit that made them famous, Barton Hollow (and yes, before you say anything, he does bear an uncanny resemblance to Johnny Depp).


And their other single Poison and Wine- much more pared down, and incredibly beautiful.


20 Years, the first track on their album- I really love this one.


And finally a live cover of You Are My Sunshine- just to prove that they are just as good live as in the studio. I never realised how dark the lyrics to this song were until this cover.

If you want to hear more, they're all over Youtube, and you can listen on Spotify. And of course you can buy the album on Itunes.

C. 

No comments:

Post a Comment