Monday 20 August 2012

Musings on Friendship

This is probably not the most cohesive post I've ever written, but it's from the heart, and that's what matters, right?

I’ve always thought friends were important, but I think the past year in particular has reinforced this truth. I'm sure I've mentioned my friends several times in previous posts, and maybe you’re getting a bit bored of it, but sometimes I simply can’t help it. I do try to make a point of appreciating everything I have, but this is about more than just that.

It's a difficult thing to admit, but I’ve not always had an easy ride when it comes to friendships. I’ve moved around a few times, leaving friends behind more than once. I made a best friend when I was seven, who left for boarding school when I was ten. Secondary school was better, but even there I always found it hard to fit in. With a few exceptions, it wasn’t really until sixth form that I felt like I had a great friendship group.

They say that at uni you meet the people you will be friends with for life. I have been fortunate enough to have met a few people like this already during my school years. Even after being away at uni we can still meet up and get on just as easily.

I think though that when I started uni, I realised just what making friends for life meant.

Being at university is such an intense experience in many ways and it is that massive life change that brings people together; some likeminded (in some cases incredibly so), others not at all, but the connections that are established often run deep regardless. For me they have, anyway.

There are the friends I talk for hours with over tea or coffee. The friends who help me to grow in my faith. The friends I laugh with over a chick flick. Some of them I would love to get to know better next term. Others I feel I have known for years and years and can't imagine not knowing.

There’s a quote somewhere that goes something like this- ‘friends are the family you choose for yourself’. In many cases I have found this to be true.

Of course, being brothers and sisters in Christ, Christians are called to love one another like family, and what I love about my small group, for example, is that this really comes across. The genuine care, support and affection we all share is such a joy to experience, and has helped me through many a hard time during my first year.

I have been extremely blessed with good friends this year- God knew exactly what I needed.  It’s really made me realise just how much of a difference friendships make in life. Life, after all, is not made up only of what we do or where we are, but of the people who surround us. I’m not one of these people who need to be around others all the time; I appreciate my own space. But I suppose I just wanted to take a moment to share how much my friends have meant to me, as sentimental as that may sound, and to my friends who are reading this, know how thankful I am to have you all.

I hope each of you reading this is fortunate enough to be equally blessed in your friendships. I hope you have, or will find someday, friends who will laugh with you. Cry with you. Truly understand you. Stand with you through hard times. Bring out the best in you. Share your hopes and dreams.

If this isn’t how it is for you, have patience and take heart. Loneliness has to be the most awful feeling in the world, from my own experience, and no-one deserves to feel that way. But good things will come to those who wait.

Take time to appreciate the people who mean most to you.

Love

C. 



No comments:

Post a Comment